Monday 11 July 2011

Nostalgia Fest: Friendship Bracelets

This tutorial popped up in my blog reader this morning and I just had to share it: a fantastic guide to making super-retro friendship bracelets.


You can find the tutorial (along with all sorts of other amazing projects) over at The Purl Bee (image taken from their website).

You know you're getting old when the crafts you did when you were a kid start coming back into fashion! I made so many of these when I was at primary school, and I think I may possibly still have some in a box somewhere which were lovingly made for me by my BFFs.

I am overcome with the urge to drop all my other plans for the day, dig out some embroidery thread and start making one of these but unfortunately I have work to do. Boo. Perhaps tonight, though...?

11 comments:

Room Eleven said...

Ah, now that is nostalgia! Thanks for the link- that looks like a great site.

Weirdly enough, I noticed they were selling friendship bracelets on the Urban Outfitters website a few weeks ago. Obviously they're making a come back!

Claire said...

What fun! My friend Vixie and I made each other friendship bracelets a couple of weekends back...took me right back to high school!

Cxx

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

I saw the same tute and bookmarked it! Your bracelets are beautiful. I am so channelling 1982 right now!

cottonreel said...

I also made my bracelets at school out of electrical wire . We used to pull the platic off the wire

Unknown said...

omg!when i was a small gir; i was doing this kind of things!

beautiful square feet said...

Thanks for sharing this - I recently bought my friend's little girl a kit for making friendship bracelets but it was so so complicated. I was trying to help her wind various colours of thread around a really strange wheel shaped thing whilst wishing that I could remember how I used to make them when I was her age! I'll make sure I forward this link to her mum!

Kit said...

OMG!! I remember making friendship bracelets when I was a kid. Me and my friends used to make loads of them and sell them for 5p each in the playground :o)

ana said...

ha. i kind of love that they are coming back (i sell variations in my etsy shop) - and i am loving what the purl bee did too. great colors. :)

Flora said...

Total nostalgia fest. I can remember a French Exchange trip that we spent the entire 20 hour coach journey making these! You're right, the thought of sitting down now and just quietly knotting is very appealing....

famfa said...

Wow. Yes I too member making hundreds of these. Brilliant. Thanks for the memories

Bugs and Fishes said...

It's very weird seeing these things come back into fashion! I'm quite excited to make one again though :)